Dr. Vivek H. Murthy served as the 19th Surgeon General of the United States from December 15, 2014, to April 21, 2017. He was the first Indian – American to hold this post. During his tenure as Surgeon General, he tackled the most urgent health issues in the USA like addiction, the opioid epidemic, health risks of e-cigarettes. He also launched efforts to increase physical activity in communities across the country by promoting walking and exercise. He has also focused on chronic stress and isolation as prevalent problems that have profound implications for health, productivity, and happiness. He also commanded a uniformed service of 6,600 public health officers, serving the most underserved and vulnerable populations in over 800 locations domestically and abroad. He worked with thousands of Commissioned Corps officers to strengthen the Corps and protect the nation from Ebola and Zika and to respond to the Flint water crisis, major hurricanes, and frequent health care shortages in rural communities.
Besides being the Surgeon General, he also has the following accomplishments to his name
- Co-founder of Visions – a peer-to-peer HIV/AIDS education program in India and the United States that reached tens of thousands of students.
- Co-founder of Swasthya Project: a community health partnership in Sringeri, Karnataka, India that trained women to defy the odds in their patriarchal villages and become health care providers and educators.
- Co-founder of TrialNetworks: a software technology company that improves research collaboration in clinical trials and is powering research studies around the world.
- Co-founder of Doctors for America: a non-profit with more than 18,000 physician and medical student members from all 50 states dedicated to creating a high-quality, affordable health care system for all.
- Along with his parents, he has set up the self-funded SCOPE foundation in their village Hallegere, Mandya district, Karnataka.
- Research: Conducted basic science research on vaccines and health care services research focused on the participation of women and minorities in clinical trials. His research and perspectives have been published in the nation’s top medical journals
Global Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (GAPIO) and India is proud of Dr. Vivek Murthy, Surgeon General, USA.