Hypertension and its Management
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) can quietly damage your body for years before symptoms develop.
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure can cause a fatal heart attack or stroke which can lead to disability or poor quality of life.
- Hypertension damages your arteries by narrowing them or causing an aneurysm.
- High blood pressure can cause coronary artery disease, enlarge the left side of the heart, and heart failure.
- High blood pressure can cause kidney disease and ultimately kidney failure.
- High blood pressure can damage the eyes and cause detachment of the retina leading to blindness.
Things that can help to control high blood pressure:
- Salt kills – Reduce salt in your diet
- Avoid fried and oily food
- Stop smoking and tobacco chewing
- Reduce intake of alcohol
- Walk and exercise for 40-45 minutes regularly
- Keep your weight under control as per BMI
- Avoid overwork and stress
- Change your lifestyle – have a work and life balance
- Do yoga and meditation
- Relax and do relaxation exercises
- Deep breathing exercises
- Drink plenty of water
- Spend time with the family
In case these things do not help control high blood pressure then seek advice from the doctors for management. However, the above things need to be done even you are on medication for hypertension.
Diagnosing and managing blood pressure is an essential part of hypertension management.
This has been made easy with the introduction of digital BP instruments and wearable gadgets.
Please share your comments below.