The current budget is a step forward for improving the health care of society said, Dr Anupam Sibal Vice President of GAPIO but still more needs to be done.
GAPIO wants overall increase in the budget to double of GDP.
In a move to widen the availability of essential drugs across India, an Amendment to the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules has been proposed. This will ensure availability of medicines at reasonable prices and help people get access to life-saving medicines. New norms are also being formulated for the medical devices sector in order to encourage investments.
1. Two new AIIMS, 5,000 new PG medical seats and increase graduate seats in medical colleges.
2. Eradication of diseases like Kala Azar and Filariasis.
3. Safe Water for areas hit by fluoride and arsenic.
4. Aim at eradication of tuberculosis.
5. 1.5 lakh health sub centres being transformed in the health wellness centre, separate health cards for elderly.
6. Rs.6,000/- aid for every pregnant women.
7. Accreditation of colleges and indirect health care by increasing budget for road safety, agricultural, rural health and Swachch Bharat.
The government has also taken a positive step by deciding to start DNB (Diplomate National Board) courses in many hospitals across the country but eligibility norms for running DNB courses for institutions should be relaxed
Action plans to eliminate Kala Azar and Filariasis by 2017, leprosy by 2018, measles by 2020 and tuberculosis (TB) by 2025 will bring a major relief. GAPIO wants Government to focus on prevention is NCDs like heart disease, hypertension Diabetes and Cancer which would be causing a huge burden on economy by 2030. Focusing on elderly health care, Aadhaar cards mentioning their health conditions will be issued and is a move in the right direction.